Saturday, September 18, 2010

Birthday idea #1.... BIRD-DAY BASH...more to come.

As previously mentioned, I am a HUGE party fan. I love all sorts of parties, but I especially love planning them. When planning a party I like to keep the costs low...mainly because I am super cheap, but I also like to be creative and find things we have around the house to use for decorations. I typically let my boys have a birthday party every year, but I have to cut back to every other year or something because there are times this party business gets a little out of hand.


My little guy turned 2 this year. I typically gear my boy parties towards sports or pirates or something "tough", but I decided since he was only 2 I could have a little fun. D.J. loves birds. He carries around a ceramic bird I picked up at a yard sale all the time. When I make up my invitations I usually try to think of something creative instead of just date, time, place... On this invite I geared it towards "birds". When typing it up I love to use different fonts and sizes. On this invite it is clear to see how old he is going to be because I bolded the number 2 throughout the invite.





Once again I wanted to make this party fun for the kids (mainly cousins) that were invited, but I wanted to keep it cheap. I decorated in turquoise and orange and gathered items around the house in those colors. I decided to have the kids make pine cone bird feeders. These are very simple but can be messy. All you have to do is gather pine cones. Please do not try this late at night when it is dark. This is what I did and I tripped and fell into a pile of those prickly things....ha ha. The kids roll the cones in peanut butter and than into the bird seed. I attached a string to them and the kids had the best time hanging them on the tree and waiting for the birds to start feeding.
I am a BIG cupcake fan as well. In fact one of my dreams is to open up a cute little cupcake shop...I can see it now "Kimmie's Kupcakes" oh.... I am a dork. It would be fun, but I am pretty sure I would gain 200 lbs eating butter cream frosting (another one of my loves). For this birday party I decided to make the cupcakes into birds using an orange wedge for the wing, m&m for the eye, and frosting for the beak and feet. I wanted to use candy corn for the beak, but I couldn't find any. They ended up being super cute...and yummy!!
For a party favor every kid got to take home a bag of gummy worms. I crushed up oreos and placed worms on top and put "every bird gets a worm"...cheesy I know, but cute.
To follow in the theme of "birds" for this party we bought our 2 year old a worm push bike. I wish I had a picture of this. It is a radio flyer brand shaped into a little green worm.
Well...that's the just of our "BIRD-DAY BASH"....hope you like it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment